This is an incredibly tasty pasta dish that makes clean-up a breeze because it’s all cooked in one pan. It’s easy, it’s quick, it’s kid friendly and it’s delicious!
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (adjust according to personal taste of course, but even my little guys loved this)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 12 oz Ziti pasta
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves finely chopped (optional)
- Brown sausage in a large skillet. (I used my Rachel Ray 3-quart, covered sauté pan and it was exactly the right size!) Add the minced garlic, red pepper flakes and cook, for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add in the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the uncooked Ziti pasta along with the water. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low and simmer until the pasta is cooked through, approximately 12- 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the Parmesan and heavy cream.
Sprinkle withPile on the mozzarella. I zapped mine under the broiler for just a few minutes until the cheese was brown and bubbly, but if you don’t want to mess with the broiler, you can just stick the lid back on the pan for a few minutes.
- Garnish with basil, if desired.
You can serve this with a green salad on the side or some delicious crusty Italian bread. Even alone, it’s sure to be a success!